Saturday, June 4, 2011

Goodbye, my friend


A dear friend died of esophageal cancer yesterday morning. 
I did not know her long enough, just two years.  She had a gentle, loving spirit.  She was full of grace and optimism and would be there for her friends no matter what.
I miss her.

Her son shared his feelings of his mother in this poem entitled Miriam.




Miriam, May 2011
photograph by Rita Koch

5/31/11
 
Miriam
 
A thousand tears
fall in a thousand different ways
 
There is not much to say
even when there is
 
When she gasps for breath
and seems far away,
I wonder about the deep things inside
we don't know about
 
John gently holds her hands
and kisses her forehead
tenderly
 
I did not know
how sacred dying is

with her, grace shines









5 comments:

RHome410 said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Missing her keeps her with you, and she clearly made an impact on those who cared about her. What a beautiful poem.

Low Tide High Style said...

So sorry for your loss. The poem written by her son is so very touching. And thank you for your comment on my blog, I hope your friend finds ways to let you know she is ok.

Kat

Cotehele said...

Thank you, Rhome.What a lovely concept. I had not thought of it in that way.

Kat, I know how much the loss of a friend means to you. Thank you.

Marysol said...

Cotehele, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your dear friend.

The poem is very touching, and a reflection of all the good Miriam contributed throughout her life. What a wonderful son she brought into this world.


Hugs to you.

riTa Koch said...

Awww...you used my photo! I love the photos of that day.
And Willy's poem, so precious.
Thank you, sweet friend, for all your caring thoughts and expressions.