Sunday, December 26, 2010

Simple Dinner


Technology has become so integrated into my life that I assume it will always be available to use when I need it. I should never make that assumption. Christmas holiday was lovely with our families in Ohio. It was so much fun, I forgot to take pictures even though I took the camera. Technology only works if I remember to use it! I did plan ahead.  Before we left, I uploaded pictures for blog posts I wanted to write while we were away thinking they could be written and posted from my iPad.  I couldn't make it work, so if you can help me, please leave a comment so I can get in touch with you.



Our whole family has a chance to get together only a few times a year.  On those holidays and birthdays it seems we try to incorporate every special meal missed between the visits.  There is lots of food! Our Christmas traditions were begun when Mr. C was just a little  boy. He remembers always having homemade pizza before opening presents. It is a tradition we still enjoy.





We had so much rich food over the weekend, that for the first meal back at home something simple sounded good.  Dinner is often a one dish meal - vegetables in or over pasta, potatoes, bread or rice. Bibimbap, a vegetable and rice dish we learned to love from our Korean family, was perfect.



Vegetables steamed or lightly sauteed. (L to R from the top) spinach, little gluten cutlets, red pepper, savoy cabbage, mushrooms, onions and garlic, and carrots I forgot to add at this point.







Stir the vegetables and rice together. Add hot pepper paste to taste.  My friends laugh at the light red color of the rice. Their rice bowls are very red from lots of hot pepper paste.  I am such a wuss.










Bibimbap just hit the spot.

3 comments:

RHome410 said...

Looks delicious...Gluten cutlets? I am not familiar with those.

Cotehele said...

Gluten cutlets are Asian. They are about the size of a quarter and very tender. The label says 153 of the 209 calories are from fat. I think it is mostly the oily sauce that contains fat. I don't care for the sauce, so I wash the cutlets before browning. The Companion brand we buy most often (because it is available) is made in Taiwan. They are available in the Asian market. Companion has a larger selection of products that I've not seen here. Our Korean friends had never seen them. Bibimbap at our house is Americanized, ha.

You can find it here:
http://www.sagegrocery.com/companion-braised-gluten-seitan-tidbits.html

rita said...

Your posts are so informative, and all the food looks delicious.