Monday, December 27, 2010

Gift of Wild Rice







Just after Thanksgiving a GardenWeb cooking forum member generously sent hand harvested Minnesota lake wild rice to a few lucky members. I was thrilled to learn my name had been drawn because I had not eaten wild rice before (Uncle Ben's Original doesn't count).  I thought wild rice was as thin, hard and black as no. 5 pencil led.  This wild rice is brown and  larger diameter.


Along with the rice, Teresa sent her recipe for wild rice soup and instructions on how to prepare the rice: it is baked.  One cup raw rice yields 4 cups cooked rice.


The cooked wild rice resembles little wiggly, damp creatures straight out of a sci-fi movie. The luscious flavor quickly trumped any hesitation to eat creepy crawlies. 


Mr. C was not up to eating just anything after a post-Thanksgiving bout with a virus, so I did not add the cream. Anyone who know me will be surprised I passed up this opportunity to use cream! The soup was delicious without the cream. It had nice body and yummy flavor.

Teresa's Wild Rice Soup
Yield: about 6 cups

  • 6 tablespoons margarine or butter 
  • 2-3 tablespoons minced onion 
  • 1/2 cup flour 
  • 3 cups chicken broth 
  • 2 cups cooked wild rice 
  • 1/2 cup finely grated carrots (I use more) 
  • 1 cup minced ham or leftover cooked chicken 
  • 3 tablespoons (or more!) chopped slivered almonds (you can put them in the soup OR toast and top as a garnish) 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 cup half and half (I used Fat Free. I have also used low fat evaporated milk) 
  • 2 tablespoons dry sherry (I used Holland House cooking sherry) 

Directions:
  1. In large saucepan, melt margarine; saute onion until tender. 
  2. Blend in flour; gradually add broth. 
  3. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; boil and stir 1 minute.
  4. Stir in rice, carrots, ham, almonds and salt; simmer about 5 minutes. 
  5. Blend in half and half and sherry; 
  6. heat to serving temperature. 
  7. Garnish with snipped parsley or chives. 




 

3 comments:

RHome410 said...

Ok...I didn't think of them looking like live creatures until you mentioned it! Eww. ;-) It is definitely different than the dark 'wild rice' I've ever seen.

Tina Marie Cowling said...

Andy removed my last comment because it had a little typo. lol. Anyway, I just said that a lot has been done here since we last visited! I like the new look, too!

Cotehele said...

Thanks, Tina! Glad you like the new look.