Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Comfort Food

Weather is unpredictable this time of year. Traveling in January is just a bad idea.  My car has very low ground clearance, so although it has snow tires, it can't clear more than a few inches of snow.  I planned to go to my Dad's three weeks in a row and couldn't make it because of snow or ice or both.  I finally made it last week and decided to stay longer than usual.  After being away from home all week, I was ready for comfort food.
Mr. C had eaten all the frozen dinners. He was ready for a home cooked dinner, too.  Bread is sparse on Dad's diabetic diet; that is what I was craving.  I decided to make buttermilk biscuits.  Ah, warm, buttery bites of goodness.



As you can see, I had plenty of help.


Buttermilk Biscuits


2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
5 tbs unsalted butter
1 cup buttermilk










Directions

Combine all the dry ingredients.

Grate butter into dry ingredients and toss to coat.

Pour in buttermilk and toss to combine.

Turn out on flexible mat. 

Compress dough lightly by folding mat over dough.


Pat dough into a 1/2 - 3/4 inch high circle or square.
Cut out biscuits with cutter the size of your choosing.

Place biscuits on a try lined with parchment paper.


Bake at 500 F for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.


Dinner

Refried Beans with Monterey-Jack cheese
Buttermilk Biscuits
Broccoli
Browned New Potatoes



I am glad to be back home. I've missed you! 

See you again, soon.









No comments: