Yesterday Trader Joe's had samples of sweet potato gnocchi that was so good. Lots of butter, onion, sage, thyme, and sweet potato. By coincidence, the frozen sage and thyme herb bread dough I had given up rising was ready to bake about bedtime last night. Ugh! I stayed up and baked it. A coincidence tasting the gnocchi, but inspired by it none the less, we had sweet potato-herb bread-sausage stuffing for supper.
Then there are the nights, last night for example, when I plan to be home by afternoon, but I am still away when Mr. C gets home. A quick call to tell him to make his own supper. Frozen pizza - his life saver. :~) Thankfully there were a few pieces left when I finally got home.
SWEET POTOTO DRESSING*
2 medium sweet potatoes, peel and cut sweet potato into 1/4-inch cubes
6 Tbs. butter
1/4 large onion, small dice
2 celery stalks, small dice
3 cloves garlic, mince
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. sage
1/8 - 1/4 tsp thyme
About 2 cup Herb bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 MSF Breakfast patties, thawed and crumbled
3/4 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
- Boil sweet potatoes 2-3 minutes to slightly soften.
- Melt 3 Tbs. butter in non-stick skillet. Saute onion and celery until soft. Add garlic and saute about 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potatoes to skillet.
- Melt 3 Tbs. of butter in the same skillet and add cubed bread. Coat bread with butter and cook until just beginning to brown.
- Sprinkle herbs to taste.
- Pour chicken broth over mixture. Warm through. Add additional chicken broth as needed.
- Add crumbled breakfast patties to the skillet mixture.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Made enough for 2 servings and a little left over for lunch.
*I did not measure ingredients when making this dressing. This recipe is a starting point. Use as a guideline and adjust to your taste.