Monday, November 1, 2010

1st November

Planning is highly overrated. At least I hope it is because I've not had time to make menus or look for recipes. Just for the two of us, spur of the moment creativity is more my style anyway. That doesn't work for foods that require a long cooking time such as beans. Canned beans are handy, but after simmering a pot of beans yesterday, I think they taste better than canned.

Breakfast is usually yogurt and juice for my husband and cereal with banana for me. My husband takes a lunch to work, the same thing every day. . . sandwich, can of diet cola, apple, cookie and chips.



The herbs are finally washed and hanging to dry. 



Friends and family came over yesterday evening for a chili supper. Friends brought a delicious Indian salad of cucumbers, yogurt, sour cream and cilantro.  It was a perfect contrast to the chili. Baked lentils and cheese was also a hit. I never make it the same way twice. This time I added added spinach and potatoes. It was made on the cooktop, strained and saved the liquid, tossed with cheddar cheese, put into a casserole dish and baked 30 minutes at 350F.

The meal ended with a tradition our kids started New Years Day, singing for us after dinner. We are blessed by a classical guitarist.  and by our  'adopted kids', a couple from Korea, a tenor and a pianist and their little Maltese.  The repertoire varies and it is always beautiful.

I am going back to Dad's this afternoon. It's just a short trip to take them to vote tomorrow.  See you soon.

Enjoy the day!

No comments: